last updated 02 October 2011
I am principally a technologist who prefers to solve real world problems using the best technologies available. This sometimes means having to push certain envelopes in order to achieve results. My assignments have often been through recommendations or direct introduction, which so far have seen me delivering some very challenging but rewarding applications to the end users.
In the last ten years I have been providing consultancy services on architecture, design and implementations of large scale Enterprise E-commerce projects, and take charge in their delivery for various financial institutions around the City of London. I have been fortunate enough to have been involved in Front, Middle and Back Office projects in the investment banking environment and as a result, I have accumulated a very prolific knowledge of the flow of information between different units and operations within an investment bank.
My specialist expertise revolves around the area of Domestic and International Prime Brokerage services to Hedge Fund clients for the above mentioned financial institutions, and have personally seen to the inception, construction and delivery of Enterprise wide platforms in two consecutive leading financial institutions, where the second assignment was a direct result of the successful roll out of the first. Each time the projects had strategic sponsorship from the business and ultimately became their client facing technology platform of choice throughout the organisation.
of note was the implementation of the electronic messaging interface to DTCC (Depository Trust & Clearing Corporation) for all dealers to confirm trades and centrally settle cash flows in real time. This project was challenging due to
high industry visibility, scope of product coverage, and aggressive timeline.
I have two projects published on Sourceforge.net, Transcraft My Accountant and Ok2sync, which should provide examples of my level of coding competency in the skills mentioned below.
Outside of the mainstream activities, I also maintain a number of client sites written in Ruby on Rails on a part time basis. My own technology blog at www.ok2life.com, together with a showcase application to find a route between two London Underground stations, was written wholy in Ruby on Rails.
Address: on request
Telephone Number: on request
Date of Birth: 1964
Nationality : British
Status : Married, male
Degree : BSc (Upper Second
Division / 2:1) Electronic and Electrical Engineering & the Associateship
of University of Surrey 1988
8 'O' levels : Maths, Additional Maths, English Language, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Art, Electronics
3 'A' levels : Maths, Physics, Chemistry
. EP1 (IEE
approved) at Bracknell Technical College (Orbitel ltd)
. X Windows
Advanced Programing (Uniplex ltd)
Markets Fundamentals, with emphasis on Fixed Income Derivatives and Government
Bonds markets (CS First Boston ltd)
Linux (Ubuntu), Windows XP, Solaris
Java, Perl, Ruby, C#, C++, C
Environments/frameworks: SOAP/XML, JSP (Java Server Pages), JINI, JMX/JDMK, XSLT, J2EE/EJB, Spring, Hibernate
Programming Tools: Ivy, JMock, JUnit, Jira, Perforce, Subversion, CVS, Clearcase
Platforms : WebLogic 5.1, Ruby on Rails, Apache Stronghold, Tomcat, Apache Axis (Web Services)
Sybase, DB2, MySQL, sqlite3
Interface Builders : Eclipse IDE, Visual Studio .NET
Systems : Prime Brokerage, Murex
Others : Full clean driving
April 2003 -
present Leading Investment Bank (name withheld), London Docklands, England
- Implementation of the DTCC Trade Information Warehouse initiative for confirmation, payment and central settlement electronic messaging of Credit Derivatives and Rates Derivatives trades
- Credit Derivatives trade confirm processing and FpML modelling (Java/MQ Series/SOAP/XML)
- Straight through processing of electronic confirms for Credit Derivatives and Index trades to DTCC (Java/MQ/FpML/Perl)
- Risk mitigation tool for the purpose of trade affirmation (ASP.NET/C#/DHTML)
- Electronic dispatch of trades and executed confirms to external reconciliation agents (ASP.NET/C#)
- Manual trade confirms of all Fixed Income trades (Scrittura/Apache/Tomcat/Java/Perl)
- Open Image document repository (Perl/mod_perl/cgi)
- Central reporting database for all Fixed Income trades (Java/Sybase/FpML/Perl)
- Consolidated data feeds for the central data warehouse (Java/Perl/XML/Sybase)
- Sarbane-Oxley 404 remediation of the above products
- Fax indexing tool for incoming faxes (Struts/DHTML/Java/Sybase)
- Incoming fax processor, providing page re-ordering and rotation functions (Struts/Java/Sybase)
- April 2003 Deutsche Bank AG, London, England
- Development Manager for the Primeservices web portal, offering consolidated equity financing services (Prime Brokerage, Stock Lending and structured products) to all Hedge Fund clients
- delivery of web portal using Weblogic 5.1 J2EE container (Java/DHTML/JSP/Oracle)
- Consolidate data feeds from other business units for portal reporting (Axis/WSDL/SOAP/Jini)
- Product roll out involving initial PR, client training, support and site maintenance
- Reporting engine for both real time and batch delivery of critical daily client reports
- devise means of remotely supporting clients via the same business portal by essentially sharing the same view with them in a different remote session
- coordinate development efforts across multiple regions and manage the delivery of product enhancements and bug fixes
- business analysis for new requirements, design and architect solution, full cycle product development and deployment
- Technical authority for the group, responsible for the cross team development framework and mentoring team members
1998 - December 2000 Nomura International Plc, London, England
- replacement of the legacy Prime Brokerage application with a web enabled version (Java/RMI/Sybase)
- rationalise the delivery process to serve external Hedge Fund clients
- in charge of Euro conversion for the Prime Brokerage application
- head the development team, reporting directly to the Front Office CTO
- Real time profit and loss engine for Prime Brokerage clients (Java/Sybase)
- In house Stock Lending booking and reporting application for client liaison managers (Java/Swing/Sybase)
- Stock Lending fees calculation engine (Java/Sybase)
- Marked to market valuation of client portfolios (Java/RMI/CGI)
- Real time price feed engine from Reuters Teknekron into the valuation engine (Java/C/JNI)
- Y2K conversion of applications under my responsibility
- represent the bank to present the application architecture and E-commerce potentials to visiting European Members of Parliament's
- technical authority and coordinator of all Prime Brokerage development efforts, later reporting directly to the Head of Prime Brokerage's business unit
1997 - August 1998 Nomura International Plc, London, England
- involved in Strategic Middle Office (SMO) project Hoodini to replace legacy mainframe
- Production and User support for the Sub-Ledger Manager application as part of the Dodge batch which runs after the end of business event from the Middle Office.
- Enhance the Sub-Ledger Manager for statistics gathering, reporting and tracking of trades throughout the system all the way into the Dodge Ledger (C++/Motif/Sybase)
1997 - October 1997 J. P. Morgan, London, England
- Object modelling, implementation and system testing of the Swaps Trading System's Message Processor, which converts all system wide messages and settlement instructions into Swift, Telex, Fax, E-mail messages for external transmission as part of project Odyssey (C++/Rational Rose/Sybase)
1995 - April 1997 Nomura Research Institute, London, England
- GUI development of the Sub-Ledger Manager sub-system, which routes accounting events into the Dodge General Ledger as part of project Hoodini (Sybase/C++/Motif/Teknekron)
- Development of the Transaction Express (Tp-TIB from Teknekron) interface for publication and subscription of Trade information from the Middle Office (C++/Sybase)
- implementation of the Longview and Rolfe and Nolan Gateway for the Dodge General Ledger
1995 - October 1995 Salomon Brothers Asset Management, London, England
- Design and implementation of the Scenario Dependent Optimising Tool (SDO) to performs risk analysis for investment portfolios under different financial and political scenarios (Ilog/C++/Sybase)
1995 - August 1995 Nomura Research Institute, London, England
- Object modelling, functional design, technical specification and implementation in C++ of the Profit and Loss and Accruals Engine for the strategic trading system using Teknekron technology.
- Design of the GUI based configuration tool to specify event mapping rules between the Front and Back Office systems using UIMX , C++ and Sybase.
1994 - April 1995 CS First Boston Ltd, London, England
- Trade monitoring tool for Front Office Fixed Income trades (ObjectBuilder/C++)
- Automation of Front Office system procedures, maintenance and support for all server processes.
- development of TradeSheet, the trade blotter and trade capture system for Bond traders.
- support and maintenance the Teknekron Information Cluster (TIC) for real time prices
- Build of the disaster recovery system.
- Options and Futures trading application support (Murex).
1992 - April 1994 Digital Equipment Service Industries Solutions Company
(DESISCo) Ltd, Uxbridge, England
- Responsible for the control of video and digital information printing from the Video Distribution System.
- Enhance the existing product to support faster and more sophisticated new generation of video printers.
- Non-preemptive Kernel design and implementation on proprietary hardware and also on SCO UNIX platforms. The kernel was also ported to run on 8051 embedded system by myself.
- Port of the existing product line in the Video Distribution System from proprietary hardware to SCO UNIX . Also ANSI-fication of source code.
- Compiler design and development using C++ . The compiler generates binary information for the Video Distribution System from high level language configuration files
- Development of an authentication and notification service for a distributed network, which monitors the entire network of users' status and restricts access according to the individual user's access rights to a service.
- Implementation of Telerate and NYSE requirements for Dectrade system management on reporting and access restriction for auditing purposes.
1991 - June 1992 Uniplex Ltd, Hemel Hempstead, England
- Escalated product support, automation of product maintenance and installation, ensuring product can be build across some 120 variants of UNIX.
- Development of the installation software for the new Uniplex GUI software suite.
- Implementation of the in-house makegen utility which resembles X11 imake. It examines the host machine to generate the appropriate Makefiles used to build the entire product in the product porting phase.
1989 - September 1991 Advent Systems (Imaging) Ltd, Wokingham, England
- Design of the S-Bus & VME based interface cards between Sun SPARCstations to various document (A4) and wide format (A0) scanners.
- Development of device drivers and programmer's toolkits for the interface cards described above
- Sunview & XView software development for document and engineering drawings database management, mostly user interfaces
- Windows and PCNFS toolkit software development of PC based access stations to documents and drawings held in Informix database on servers across the network.
1988 - March 1989 Orbitel Mobile Communications Ltd, Basingstoke, England
- Digital ASIC design for GSM Base Stations
- Main work includes signal equalisation, digital signal encoding and decoding, product field trials and test data analysis
1986 - August 1987 Rutherford Appleton Laboratory, Didcot, England
- Hardware design using Transputer technology and ISDN Megastream Wide Area Network.
- Design of real time image capture and processing cards using arrays of Transputers for teleconferencing purposes in the Alvey programme.
- Software development using OCCAM and PASCAL to perform real time image manipulation and compression.